Saturday, May 23, 2009
Ready to go !!!!!
See you all, after 7th June, 2009.........
Monday, May 18, 2009
Only five days left for me going home and around ten days to start my library. I am trying to finish the maximum of library related works prior to arriving home as I know, lots other are waiting for me there. The recent resource alignment at Microsoft and the on-going 'May Quarterly Release' activities at office have not been giving me much time to focus on the home library mission. In spite of that, I am LIVE and optimizing my time fully.
Yesterday, I went to meet the design solution Company NOTUN(http://notun.net/). I have been associated with this start-up for last 1.5 years. This is a very inspiring effort mainly by Mantu Kalita and Deepak Saikia, two very enthusiastic, skilled and highly professional individuals, committed to make an impact here at Hyderabad.
We together finalized the following things for the library today:
1. Library Logo : This has been a big headache for me. You can't expect creative art from a guy who has not got more than 60% in drawing test in his whole student life.
2. Membership Cards : We decided on the basic design of membership card. The different types of memberships will be distinguished by the color of card and variation of the paper used. I also changed the basic membership category name from ORDN to GENL.
3. Acknowledgement Memo : Before reaching there, I thought of designing and printing this by myself; But after discussions there, I really felt the necessity of acknowledging someone's help and donation to our mission. I completed the content of the epistle and left the designing part to Notun.
4. Signboard : I also completed writing the wordings on the signboard to be put up in front of our house at Agia. For the assamese letters thanks to the smart key board of Xobdo(http://www.xobdo.org/ ). Earlier I thought of making this at my native place using tin and wood. But, of course I can carry this from hyderabad (in fact my plane will carry it, not me) if it ensures better material and artistic design.
[I am keeping the cost part out of the scope of the blog for now]
There are a lot of other things I am working on currently. Many a times, i myself feel like getting randomized. Just want to list down all the things which I am working on and also things that will happen before 30th May, 2009.
1. Registration as a trust/NGO: This is priority 1 item on the list. Haven’t done much apart from gathering information so far. First assignment after reaching Asom.
2. Rubber Stamp: Completed the design of rubber stamp to be put on each book on the library today with NOTUN. I will carry out the activity with my local shop in Asom.
3. Letter Pad: I have decided on the designing but not printing as of now. Will do it in Asom if necessity comes.
4. Follow Up with all helpers: I am following up with all who helped me and well-wishers for the last time. Also finalizing the timing and place to meet all of them at Asom after I reach there.
5. Working on inaugurator: I am also working on deciding the inauguration ceremony on 1st June and inviting some prominent personality for the inauguration. My one dream is to have Mr.Homen Borgohain as his concept of HorGobinda Library has an influence on my concept. I have drafted a letter for him and trying to get my sister to go out there at Guwahati to meet with him, to see how to make it happen. I need to work on some alternate plans too.
6. Final testing on the software: I am working with Alvaro to deliver the software with all the basic functionalities working perfectly. I am getting my laptop formatted tomorrow to make a replica of my home PC environment. It will be followed by rigorous testing.
7. Arranging resources to work: My sister's 2nd Semester exam clashes with my home visit; my bro is also getting leave from 24th May only. To mitigate this resource crisis at home during this crucial time I have already talked with many of my relatives and found two resources. My cousins Nabajit and Moni will be there to help me from 24th May onwards.
8. Rule Book : I am yet to finalize the rules and regulation for the members. I am planning to take print outs and distribute it to every member who enrols.
9. Printed catalogue copies: I am planning to take print out of the old catalogue (Published in my last blog) to give people an idea about the current stock of books and what is required.
10.People to meet: I am also finalizing the people who have expressed the wish to help me with this mission. I have to meet 9-10 people at Guwhati and some at different places. Trying to make the most out of my time and from them.
11. Publicity at my native place: This is one of the most crucial things that needs much attention. I am thinking on several ways to reach the people out there and particularly the school students. Creating a donor awareness is also one of the aims.
12. Keep the momentum going : The most important thing. I think this is not for me, but for the people and well wishers who are and want to be part of this home library concept, who will be undertaking this journey.
Conclusion: Are you thinking I am getting randomized? No, you are wrong now, as I finish the blog.
Wish me luck. See you all after I come back to Hyderabad on 8th June. And, you know I will be having a lot to share with you by that time
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Cataloguing is most vital for a well maintained library. Even without knowing the meaning of words like catalogue, ISBN etc, we (me, my bro and sis) have been maintaining a long register copy since 1992, in which we used to write down each and every name of books that graces our home with a unique identifiable number. I leveraged the practice in a more efficient way and extended the same to study reference books and all the magazines during my October’08 visit home.
That was a four day marathon of work (40% of my week-long vacation) with my sis-Moina and cousin-Moni. They helped me with the tough job of identifying all the books with a unique number, classifying them into different categories and sub-categories, recording relevant info for each book like language, author name and finally placing the books in the almirah and rack with the particular shelf matching with particular categories of books.
One of the main intention was to get the all the information into computer (in excel format), so that these can be used later by the library management software or to make the catalogue online (Long term plan!!).
Two quick disclaimers here:
1. This lists only the books on 1st Jan, 2009. There are a good number of additions after that.
2. There were around 350 books (on that day) still available which I could not catalogue because of various reasons. This number has increased a lot by now.
Things I am looking forward with the catalogue:
1. Create a balance between reader’s preference and the different categories of books available. Procurement of new books will be impacted by this.
2. Make it online so that can be accessible by anyone easily.
3. Keep the resource statistics up-to-date
Here below, I give detailed information on the different types of books that we had by 1st January, 2009. There are seven broad classes of books which in turn have different sub-classes. This is just to give an idea about the resources in the library
Yet to be categorised
Adults- Light Reading
Adults- Deep Reading
Language Learning Guides
Study Reference Books
Competitive Exam preparation book
Language & Literature
This is just a beginning. This library will achieve new milestones going forward in case of the number of resources.Currently, I am working on number of ways to get new resources to the library.
Any help/book-donation/feedback/suggestion from readers is welcome.